"Tennis players teach us to keep our eyes on the ball. For decades June Harrison has taken our eyes everywhere else, capturing the very essence of competition - the sweat, the stress of muscles, the anguish and fatigue and pure divine joy - at that moment that defines a match or a career.
There's no one like her because no one else sees what she sees."
Mary Carillo - TV Broadcaster (HBO Real Sports, ESPN, CBS)
PRO TENNIS A - Z
Since 1975, June's photographs capturing the exhilarating moments in the world of professional tennis have appeared on the covers of books and magazines, on TV, in movies, music videos and on the web. She appeared as herself in the 1977 television commercial for Canon Camera along side champion and International Tennis Hall of Famer John Newcombe, winner of Wimbledon, the Australian, and U.S. Open.
Evocative and lyrical portraits of Billie Jean King, Bjorn Borg and Michael Chang were used in the American Express 2000 U.S. Open advertising campaign, which included print, billboards, Billie Jean King bus wraps, pins and postcards, platform posters for NYC #7 subway and the Michael Chang Metro Card.
She is the co-author with tennis writer Peter Bodo of Inside Tennis: A Season on the Pro Tour (Dell, 1979) and a contributing photographer to the following books:
But, June is most proud that her striking images of the world's greatest tennis champions are showcased in the galleries at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island, as well as in the Museum's permanent collection. And, her iconic 1978 portrait of Billie Jean King is showcased in the May 2004, 50th Anniversary Issue of premiere Sports Illustrated photography.
- Game Face: What Does A Female Athlete Look Like? (Random House, 2001) The Game Face exhibition, organized by the Smithsonian, is touring the country.
- Venus & Serena Williams: Sisters in Arms by Mark Stewart (Bittersweet Press, 2000)
- Get in the Game: Careers for Women Who Love Sports by Robin Roberts (Millbrook, 2000)
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Tennis by Trish Faulkner & Vivian Lemelman (MacMillan, 1999)
- Martina Navratilova (Commemorative Private Printing, La Familia, Barcelona, 1992)
- A six - sport, how - to book, Playing the Racquets by Carol Morgenstern (Dell, 1980).